Rhythms of the Seasons: Spring
Yaaaa! Spring is finally here it seems, though not official for about another week. This is an exciting time as many people look at it as a time of re-birth, new beginnings and new life.
One of the things often over looked are ‘down sides’ or negative aspects that we also can see during the rhythms of the seasons. When we have a poor relationship with the energies of Spring – namely the energies of the Liver and Gallbladder, the repressed and buried anger can boil to the surface, the eyes fill with rage and in full bloom, turns into shouting which leaves a sour taste in others’ mouths, though at the end, can leave the person in tears.
In Natural/Holistic Health, we see that Spring directly ties to the energies of the Liver and Gallbladder and the element of Fire. The Liver Qi (Chi) helps us to process the emotions of life. Now, remember that box that you were told to put your anger into as a child… well, the Gallbladder Qi holds or stores that anger that we cannot process. The outward expression of the Liver, we see as the Eyes, and when the anger comes up, it is said that the person has a fire in their eyes, or when we get overwhelmed with emotions, can erupt in tears. The element of Fire ties into our Metabolism, which is also strongly related to the health of the liver qi.
Beneficial things for your Holistic Health during Spring
- Detox teas and Sour Foods that include things like Dandelion, Milk Thistle, and my two personal favorites, Burdock Root (which in some countries is eaten as a vegetable) and Turmeric
- There are also fantastic Yoga poses that help to support the Marmas (energy areas in Ayurvedic Medicine similar to the Acupuncture points in Oriental Medicine), with my personal favorite being Bhujangasana / Cobra Pose. More asana’s or poses can be found here: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/anatomical_focus/liver
- Get your Lymph moving = Go for walks, take Mustard Seed Baths, get a Lymph Drainage Massage
- Wear & Experience Green! The color of spring is Green. Green is a nice neutralizing color, is great for metabolism (metabolism = fire) and great for the eyes! Green has a harmonizing and balancing effect on the mind, body and soul. Wear some green clothing (it is St. Patty’s Day this coming weekend after all!), and bring a plant or 10 into your office space.
Reminder: Detoxing or Strengthening the liver can cause some medications to have a stronger effect on the body, so if you are on any medications (or supplements), talk with your trained professional before this.
Some signs that you might be fighting the Rhythm of Spring
- Stress, tension or even pain on the outer part of the leg
- Something you can try for this is to sit with your knees to your chest, and do a strong massage from your hips to your knees to help break up the stagnant energies (don’t do this to hard though)
- People run away from you crying after crossing your path
- Are you feeling more irritable, snapping at people?
- Nausea or even stomach upsets
- When the liver qi is not able to support the emotions, the energy can sometimes back-up into the stomach
- Sleep issues between 11 PM and 3 AM
- Pains or cramping in the upper right side of your abdomen
- Headaches and Migraines
- Eye issues like strain, twitchy or spasmy eye lids
NOTE: As always, these statements (or any other in our newsletters, etc), have not been evaluated by the FDA. This is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.