Do you have a fall cold? Try this:
- Cup of Hot Water
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Raw Unheated Honey
Stir the raw unheated honey into the cup of hot water (after the water is boiled, as you do not want to boil the honey). Then add the 1/4 tsp of Cinnamon. Let steep for about 5 or 10 minutes, then sip on this 2 or 3 times each day during your fall cold.
Clarified Honey or Heated Honey, according to Ayurvedic Medicine, creates subtle toxins in the system, so whenever possible always use Raw Unheated Honey. This honey is generally hard, and you will have to use a strong spoon to get it out of the jar. Raw Unheated Honey goes deep within the system tissue layers, bringing fantastic nourishment and properties from the other herbs, as well as it’s own properties and benefits.
About Cinnamon (1)
- Energetic Properties: Pungent, sweet, astringent-hot-pungent, Vatta & Kapha reducing and Pitta increasing
- Tissues Cinnamon Feeds/Effects: Plasma, blood, muscles, marrow/nerves
- Systems Cinnamon Feeds/Effects: Circulatory, digestive, respiratory, urinary
- Action of Cinnamon: Alterative, analgesic, antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, antirheumatic, antispasmodic, aromatic,astringent, carminative, demulcent, diaphoretic, digestive, diuretic, expectorant, germicide, hemostatic, stimulant, stomachic
- Uses according to Ayurveda: Absorption, agni (digestive fire) promoting, breathing difficulties, bronchitis, colds, congestion, circulation, generates energy and blood, strengthens one’s constitution, diarrhea, dysentery, edema,flu, gas, metabolic (spleen and pancreas) and heart strengthening, hiccups, indigestion, warms and strengthens the kidneys, liver problems, menorrhagia, melancholy, muscle tension, for debilitating pain of the waist, knees, backaches and headaches; palpitations, toothache, uterine muscle fiberstimulant, nausea, vomiting. Assists uterine contractions during labor, menstrual pain from low metabolic function. External—headaches, pain.
- Spiritual Uses: Sattwic (2)
- Precautions: Bleeding disorders, excess Pitta (heat/fire in the system)
- Preparation: Infusion, decoction, powder, oil
(1) Information according to the “The Ayurveda Encyclopedia: Natural Secrets to Healing, Prevention & Longevity”, 1998 edition
(2) Sattwa, or purity, is thepreferred mental state because a person with this quality is calm, alert, kind, and thoughtful.